Friday, March 30, 2007

excruciating penance

I am paying for bad habits that started when I was seduced, in the major thoroughfare at my college student union, into getting my first credit card in exchange for m&ms. I read articles, all the time, about this scandalous practice of credit card companies. I was a classic case. Let's say, "I am". I am not calling myself a victim. At this point, I take responsibility for my pattern of bad behavior. It merely started then. Back when I was 10 years old, I was the queen baby-sitter of my neighborhood, and I socked away cash. Now, I am trying to revive that part of myself. But in my twenties, I went bad. I paid for parties with my credit card, and one trip to Central America. I bought a used car for $3,000., putting it on a card with a 0% APR. (At the time, I couldn't get a small loan with that low an APR.) On credit, I bought a new wardrobe before the start of a new job. I would be late on payments and have fees associated with it. I often wish I could analyze the makeup of my current balance. How old and encrusted is some of that debt? With my modest income, I can still acheive my goals, but the debt gets in the way, and time is of the essence for retirement and stock accrument. Now, I must pay the debt, and put off aggressive saving. I regret this. Ye, teens and twenty somethings! Abandon all hope if you enter this pitfall!

No comments: